Gerediaga, meeting place for Duranguesado
In 2003, the General Assemblies of Bizkaia recovered the Hermitage of San Salvador y San Clemente de Gerediaga, the site where the Assemblies of the Merindad (Administrative district) of Durango would meet. Today, the building is used as the venue for some of the plenary meetings held regularly by the regional institution.
The history of this area dates back to almost the Middle Ages. In days gone by, the Duranguesado region had an autonomous political life and made decisions on its own matters. Indeed, during some historic times, the area was politically separated from the rest of Bizkaia, at some point serving as a border of the Kingdom of Navarre.
Also evidence of the region´s personality is the fact that participation of the Duranguesado in the Assemblies of Gernika was never on an individual basis for each parish, instead, the Assembly of Gerediaga would send common representatives, initially two since 1628, a figure that was increased to 5 in 1740, reaching a maximum of 8 c. 1800.